Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thursday's Ramblings

Just added new items to the Home and Kitchen and a couple new pictures to the Gallery! 

During the years as I've daydreamed of having my own shop, the one thing that remained constant was the back of the shop.  I always envisioned it being a place where people could sit and relax, have a cup of tea or coffee and a muffin. 

Well...since the shop is on line, you'll have to provide the chair to get comfy in and the coffee or tea.  The closest I can come to providing muffins is to give you my mom's recipe.  It's simple as can be, even more so if you incorporate my little shortcuts:  just mix the egg, milk and oil together and then dump in the dry ingredients on top of each other and mix it all together.  Always works for me.  And I use a 9 x 9 (or could be 8 x 8) pan.  I've always thought that making individual muffins was way too tedious.  The only drawback to making them in a pan is that you don't get the muffin tops (Elaine). 

So here ya go, mom's muffin recipe as written ~

Muffins
2C sifted flour (oh yeah, I don't sift either...just round the cups)
2t baking powder
1/2t salt
2T sugar
1 egg, beaten
1C milk
1/4C melted shortening or oil
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Combine egg, milk, and shortening.  Add to the dry ingredients all at once, stirring only enough to moisten.
Fill greased muffin pans two-thirds full.
Bake at 400 deg F (hot oven) about 20 minutes.
Makes about 12 medium-sized muffins.
Oatmeal muffins ~ Use 1C quick-cooking rolled oats in place of 1C of the flour.
Blueberry or cranberry muffins ~ Use 1C uncooked berries.  Reduce milk to 3/4C and increase sugar to 1/4C.  Mix berries with dry ingredients.
If you have a recipe that you'd like to share, feel free.
See you soon,
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment